Food Blog - Chicken Rolls
Chicken Rolls are one of my favorite things! I got this recipe from a roommate in college and I have been hooked on them ever since! They are easy to make, only requiring 5 ingredients as shown above, but they do take time because you have to let the rolls rise twice. But believe me, the time is well worth it!
Step 1: Spray 3 half sheet baking trays with nonstick spray. Lay out 12 frozen Rhodes Rolls per tray. Spray the top of the rolls with nonstick spray. Cover with plastic wrap. Allow rolls to thaw and rise until rolls have doubled in size as shown above. This usually takes 4-5 hours.
Step 2: Set cream cheese out so that it can warm to room temperature. Cut the broccoli into chunks and steam it. When it is tender, cut it into even smaller pieces. Open your can of chicken chunks and drain off excess water. If you don't want to use canned chicken you can boil 3 chicken breast and shred the cooked meat. Put the cream cheese, broccoli and chicken into a bowl.
Step 3: Mix the cream cheese, broccoli and chicken by hand. Add 1 teaspoon garlic salt and mix again. If you prefer a stronger flavor, add a bit more garlic salt. If you prefer a milder flavor, you can reduce the garlic salt. You can even eliminate the garlic salt altogether. You know your taste preferences so go with what you like!
Step 4: Remove the plastic wrap from a tray of Rhodes Rolls and set aside. You will need the plastic wrap again. Take one roll in your hand.
Step 5: Gently stretch the roll so that it is elongated and flat.
Step 6: Take a spoonful of the cream cheese mixture and put it in the center of your elongated roll.
Step 7: Fold the edges of the roll around the cream cheese mixture.
Step 8: Pinch the edges together so that the cream cheese mixture is sealed in the center of the roll.
Step 9: Lay the cream cheese filled roll back on the baking tray with the pinched side down. When all 12 rolls are filled and placed back on the tray, cover with plastic wrap and allow rolls to rise again for 30 minutes.
Step 10: Bake at 325 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the tops of the rolls are golden brown. Allow rolls to cool for 5 minutes. Sometimes it is just too hard to wait for 5 whole minutes before you bite into one of these amazing rolls so be warned...the cream cheese mixture is very hot if you eat one directly out of the oven! They actually have more flavor once the cream cheese mixture has cooled a bit. But whether you eat them scalding hot, appropriately cooled or even completely cold, they are divine! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
Chicken Rolls Recipe
1 Bag of Rhodes Rolls, 36 count
1 12.5 oz Can of Chicken Breast Chunks -or- 3 Chicken Breasts
2 8 oz Packages of Cream Cheese
2 Heads of Broccoli
1 tsp Garlic Salt
1. Spray 3 half sheet baking trays with nonstick spray. Arrange 12 rolls on each tray. Spray the top of the rolls with nonstick spray. Cover with plastic wrap and allow rolls to rise until double in size, 4-5 hours.
2. Allow cream cheese to warm to room temperature. Steam broccoli and chop it into tiny pieces. Drain canned chicken or boil and shred chicken breasts. Combine cream cheese, broccoli and chicken. Add 1 tsp garlic salt or to taste.
3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
4. Gently stretch one roll. Put a spoonful of the cream cheese mixture in the center. Fold outer edges of the roll over the mixture. Pinch edges together to seal. Lay the filled roll back on the baking tray with the pinched side down. Cover rolls with plastic wrap and allow them to rise again for 30 minutes.
5. Bake at 325 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the tops of the rolls are golden brown.
6. Allow rolls to cool for 5 minutes before eating.
Go to shotbox.me to learn more about the SHOTBOX.
Photo show with SHOTBOX and my Samsung Galaxy S5 Smartphone.