It is always fun to see your name in print, especially when it is displayed in a new and unique way. This paper snowflake craft definitely shows off your name in a different light. Without the outlined portion, the names are almost unrecognizable! Below is a step by step guide, complete with pictures, to show you how to make this project.
1. Print or trace an 8" circle onto an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper. If your name has more than 5 or 6 letters, you will want a larger circle and may need a 12" x 12" sheet of paper.
2. Cut out the circle.
3. Fold the circle in half.
4. Fold that half in half so that you have a quarter of a circle.
5. Fold that quarter circle in half so that you have an eighth of a circle.
6. With a pencil, write your name in bubble letters so that the top and bottom of each letter touch the top and bottom of your eighth of a circle. Also make sure that each letter touches the letter next to it. Erase and make adjustments as needed to get your name to fit.
7. When your name looks satisfactory, trace each letter with a marker.
8. Cut out along the outside edges of the letters. Make sure that several points along the top and the bottom edges stay connected or do not get cut. You can see a good example of this in picture 12 where the top edge of each letter did not get cut away and they connect to the side of the paper that was previously folded under. Points along the bottom edge are also connected to the folded under portion of the paper and you can see that in picture 13.
9. If any letters in your name have a hole in the center, take a hole punch and punch an opening in the center of the area where that hole should be.
10. Using a pair of sharp, pointed scissors, further cut away at the hole that you just created with the hole punch to make the appropriately shaped hole for your letter.
11. Look at your name to see if there are any areas that need to be trimmed and cleaned up. Use your pointy, sharp scissors for this.
12. Carefully unfold your name snowflake so that it opens up to a quarter of the circle.
13. Carefully unfold your name snowflake so that it opens up to half of the circle.
14. (Not shown) Carefully unfold your name snowflake so that it opens all the way up to a full circle.
15. (Not shown) Notice how your name becomes unrecognizable when you turn the snowflake upside down and can no longer see the marker portion of your name.
Go to shotbox.me to learn more about the SHOTBOX.
Photo shot with SHOTBOX and my Samsung Galaxy S7 Smartphone.
Below you can see the setup inside the box. I used the topshot feature and I only needed a base so I used a purple backdrop as it provided a nice contrast against the white of the snowflake. It was interesting to see that as I changed the size and shape of the white paper, the color of the purple changed slightly in the photograph even though the lighting did not change, nor did the purple backdrop.