Lemon Cupcakes with Lavender Vanilla Frosting (Flavored with Essential Oils)
Makes 12-16 Cupcakes or 36-48 Mini Cupcakes
Lemon Cupcake Batter
1 1/2 Cups White Flour, Sifted
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 Cup Butter, Softened
1 Cup Sugar
1 Whole Egg
2 Egg Whites
1 tsp Vanilla
1/4 tsp (or 20-24 drops) Lemon Essential Oil
1/2 Cup Milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
2. Line cupcake tin with paper liners.
3. In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
4. With an electric mixer, beat butter until creamy.
5. Add sugar. Beat on low speed until incorporated into butter then increase speed to medium-high and beat until mixture is light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
6. Beat in the whole egg and egg whites until incorporated and mixture is wet.
7. Add vanilla and lemon essential oil. Beat until completely mixed in.
8. Add half of the flour mixture, beating on low speed until mixture is thick.
9. Add milk and mix.
10. Add the rest of the flour mixture and mix until batter is smooth.
11. Scoop batter into cupcake liners, filling the liner 3/4 of the way full.
12. Bake at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 16-20 minutes for regular sized cupcakes and 10-13 minutes for mini sized cupcakes, until the tops are set and a toothpick test comes out clean.
13. Remove cupcakes from the tin and allow to cool on a baking rack.
Lavender Vanilla Frosting
3/4 Cups Butter, Softened
3 1/2 - 4 Cups Powdered Sugar, Sifted
1 tsp Vanilla
2 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
2-4 TBSP Milk
Purple Food Coloring
1. With an electric mixer, beat butter until creamy.
2. Add 1 TBSP millk. Beat.
3. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the powdered sugar. Mix until thoroughly incorporated.
4. Add vanilla and lavender essential oil.
5. Add milk, 1/2 TBSP at a time, mixing until it is completely incorporated into the frosting, until the frosting reaches a smooth, creamy consistency.
6. Add purple food coloring and mix until the color is evenly distributed. Start with 1-2 drops, then add more if you want a more intense color.
7. Frost the cupcakes.
Go to shotbox.me to learn more about the SHOTBOX.
Photo shot with SHOTBOX and my Samsung Galaxy S7 Smartphone.
Below you can see the setup inside the box. I had wooden planks as my base and a piece of tile as my background. I placed the cupcakes and essential oils on a wire cooling rack. The cooling rack was longer than the SHOTBOX so it hung over the edge of the box but that didn't matter. I was still able to get the shot that I wanted.